DEFINITION OF PROPOSITION:
- A proposition is that part of the meaning of the utterance of a declarative sentence which describes some state of affairs.
- In uttering a declarative sentence a speaker typically asserts a proposition.
- The notion of truth can be used to decide whether two sentences express different propositions.
- In a condition where o sentence is true while the other is false, they express different propositions.
- True propositions correspond to facts, in the ordinary sense of the word fact. False propositions do not correspond to facts.
FAMILY TREE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN UTTERANCES, SENTENCES, AND PROPOSITIONS:
Based on the tree diagram above, we canconclude thatt a single proposition could be expressed by using several different sentences and each of these sentences could be uttered an infinite number of times